Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mi Jardín August 2009

You asked for it!

Recently, a few folks have expressed interest in gardening here at Lake Chapala and asked for a run down on my garden. Since we have a mild year-round climate, good water, and rich dark soil that was once lake bottom, this place is heaven for gardeners and most flowers bloom year-round. I bet you could drop a clothespin and get a clothespin tree.

My garden is smallish but very compact and offers a wide variety of fruits and flowers that keep me and Juan, my gardener, very busy.

Here are a few pictures and notes. . .

Avocados


Bananas


Bougainvillea


And Daisies


Oranges


Grapefruit



Roses


And Jasmine


Hibiscus


Lantana


White Ginger


And Apples


Lemons


Double Hibiscus


And. . .

guavas, limes, herbs, red orange and yellow roses, orange, white, and yellow hibiscus, pink plumeria, angel's trumpet, Mexican primrose, impatiens, geraniums, bird of paradise, Mexican poker flowers, zinnias, palms, vines, night blooming cereus, oleander, poinsettias, waterfalls of red pink and white bougainvillea, elephant ears, ferns, lilies, creeping Charlie, burro's tail, trumpet vine-purple and yellow, double pikake, wandering Jew, Mexican yellow lemons,
purple lantana, and other assorted stuff.

BUT, my most favorite little treasure of all. . .

. . .the baby Hawaiian Papaya


ALOHA!


This post is dedicated to a very dear family friend who lives in Hawaii and wanted to see my garden.. She emails me often and I treasure our email chats. She recently celebrated her 100th Birthday! Yes, she did! She is so special.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WIL, love you.


3 comments:

  1. Great Blog, Trailrunner.
    Super pix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kath, you're the one who gave me the burro's tail, the white ginger, and the night blooming cereus! See how well they're doing?
    -MT

    ReplyDelete