Thursday, May 5, 2011

Things That Make You Go Hmmmmm. . . May 2011



Feliz Navidad from Llantera Hernandez
My most favorite tire repair shop anywhere!

Had a blowout on the highway one night about
3 months ago.
I limped down the highway, shredding the tire
in the process, to a friend's hotel parking lot
where I knew the car would be safe for the night.

Had the spare put on the next morning,
for 50 pesos, and set out to find a replacement
tire to match the other 3.

I started on the south shore where I bought all 4 tires
a couple of years ago.
No go.
El Señor has died.
Oh, I'm so sorry, ok, thanks.

Then to the new fancy tire stores.
Ummm, doncha have something a little cheaper?
No, Señora.

We are now into this about 2 months.
It's Mexico.
We're not in a hurry.

Hey, what about the mechanics!
Bet some of them have some good tires laying around.

íHola Salvador!
íHola!
Got a good tire laying around that might match my other 3?
Si.  No problem.
Bueno, Salvador.
How much?
250 pesos.
Sold!

Over to the Llantera Hernandez to have the tire balanced,
mounted, rims swapped, spare mounted to rim
and put back in place under the vehicle.
40 pesos.  
20 minutes.

Total Mexican tire adventure:
$340 pesos or about $29 US.

Total time involved:
3 months.

Good things come to those who wait.



3 comments:

  1. The common wisdom says you're always supposed to buy two tires at a time, something about keeping things balanced. Two tires or four tires, not one or three. Well, that's what they say.

    So don't drive too fast.

    -- Felipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patient, determined, hopeful and la maestra de barato! (possibly garbled but accurate!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Si, Zapata mon. But then I'd have one extra good tire gathering dust in the cochera. All 4 tires are now well matched tread-wise, should wear out at the same time so I can buy 4 new ones, and the spare is still very good. no se

    Si, C and G, I learned from you.

    ReplyDelete