Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Dreaded Dry Season Jan 2011


This is NOT my favorite time of year.
Dirty brown mountains, lawns, and cars.
 And, it will get progressively dustier and hotter 
until, at wits end, the rains come in June.

Chaac, have mercy on our souls!

 It's so dry I've become a potato chip, salty and crispy even,
like I would shatter if I fell.

Painful skin cracks on my fingers.
Sinusitis and Claritin.
And locals wearing masks on the streets. 

Keeping the garden watered is becoming a monumental task.
Low water pressure in the hose.

Dust everywhere, rolling over the mountains from the
dry lake beds; like fog does in Pacifica.

 FINE dust.  The kind you find embedded in your keyboard
and inside the drawers.

Even the scorpions come in looking for moisture!

You know what I mean.




4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is dry! It's always moist here in Mazatlan, I have forgotten to put lotion on for days at a time... but when we visit Mexico City my nose dries up and even bleeds and my lips chap instantly. Can you put your head over a pot of steaming water and cover with a towel? Of course if you did that you might attract all the scorpions in the area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, the mountain's not on fire yet...
    It's a long time until June. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean! Just a few more weeks 'til much warmer weather. Spring in Jalisco is beautiful!

    Hope you feel better soon.

    And it's nice to see Vadose on here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Vadose! - how are you? Good to hear from you, I agree with Leslie. Shoot me an email so I know how you guys are doing in Sayulita. Saludos!

    ReplyDelete