Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Emergency Medical Spanish 2006


In my other life, while I was still a California paramedic, I wrote a program called Emergency Medical Spanish and a textbook of the same name. I taught the program in fire departments and EMS agencies in CA and NV.

When I retired and moved to Mexico, it was suggested that I bring the program with me and perhaps students would come down to study. Some did. We held classes on the grounds of the Cruz Roja in Chapala, the students were mandated to volunteer a minimum of 4 hours - they all did many more than that, and they were asked to bring recycled medical supplies to donate. It was a win-win for everyone, and great fun. The students went home with some new language skills, some new EMS friends, 6 hours of CE, a pocket book, and all said they had a good experience.

We at Cruz Roja got donated automatic defibrillators, uniforms, books, IV supplies, bandaging supplies, glucometers, BP cuffs, stethascopes, portable suction units, and untold other necessary and VERY appreciated equipment.



Students practicing scenarios in Spanish. And doing VERY well, I may add.


Students after hours flirting with the Ajijic cops.

Zzzzzzzzzzt!

Sandy running a call in Mexico.

Touring Guadalajara with CR medic Dani Gutiérrez.

Chapala Fire

One night Suzanne (student and old medic partner) and I were on our way to dinner when we happened on the scene of a grizzly accident of 6 drunk, unbleted, teenagers in old la bomba versus Chapala Bus. Not much of a stretch to guess who won. Since there were not other medics on scene yet, Suzanne and I stopped. One of the victims was DOA, one was stable, two were dying, and two were trying to die. Joco medics arrived and we all set about C-spine, starting IVs, and stopping bleeds as they were loaded and transported to Guad hospitals and the Chapala Cruz Roja. The following is a constant reminder of that night for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment